Friday, March 13 , 2015

Dr. Hamdy’s Exercise Trick

Happy First Day of Spring! What a great time to jump-start (or begin) your exercise routine. You say you hate exercise and always fail at fitness programs? Watch here to discover the secret to easily starting and sticking to an exercise plan that you’ll enjoy for the rest of your life.

Tuesday, March 03 , 2015

Put THIS on Your Face?!

Don't spend a lot of money on a fancy clay facial. You probably have this in your cabinet right now to use instead.

For a pretty pink facial, apply a thin layer of Pepto-Bismol to your face. Leave on until it dries completely, then rinse it off with warm water and pat dry. The claylike mineral in Pepto-Bismol (and similar products) is bismuth subsalicylate, which acts as a cleansing agent and helps draw out skin's impurities.

More natural skin-care solutions…


Tuesday, September 02 , 2014

Tickle Trick to Stop Their Snoring

A friend told us that he starts to snore the minute he falls asleep. We asked if it bothers his wife. He said, “ It not only bothers my wife...it bothers the whole congregation.” If you sleep with a snorer, here's what to do...

Actually, snoring is not a joking matter. Chronic snoring—that is, snoring every night and loudly—may be a sign of a serious condition known as sleep apnea. Apnea is Greek for “without breath.” During the night, an individual with apnea stops breathing repeatedly from an obstructed windpipe (usually due to excess weight, but not always). If you think that you or your loved one has sleep apnea, talk to your doctor. Aside from causing daytime sleepiness, apnea may lead to high blood pressure, heart problems and stroke.

How to stop occasional snoring: Occasional snoring can be caused by very dry air—a lack of humidity in the bedroom. Simply use a humidifier, especially in the winter months. Or, instead of shouting at the snorer and scaring him awake, lightly tickle his throat and the snoring should stop. Of course, the laughing may keep you awake.

More ways to better sleep...


Tuesday, July 15 , 2014

How to Treat a Jellyfish Sting

Most jellyfish are not dangerously poisonous, but their sting can be painful. To be extra-safe when swimming at the beach, ask the lifeguards or other locals what to be aware of with regard to jellyfish and other critters in that locale. And remember—even detached jellyfish tentacles can sting if touched. Here's what not to do (and what helps ease the pain) if you get stung by a jellyfish.

Do not rub the stung area. It will spread the venom. If you—or someone helping you—need to touch the stung area, wear gloves, if possible. Jellyfish venom can be easily spread to exposed hands and then to other body parts. Don't put freshwater on the sting—it will release more venom.

What you should do: Pour saltwater or place ice or an ice pack on the stung area—this will neutralize the venom and cool the heat. Applying white vinegar will also help to deactivate the toxins. You can also use beer, vodka or wine. These beverages help dry out the stingers, which will relieve the pain from jellyfish venom.

Good news: Contrary to what you might have heard, urine is not an effective remedy for jellyfish stings (thank you, Scientific American!). In fact, if the pee comes from someone who is well-hydrated, it'll be like a freshwater treatment, which might actually spread the pain. Aren't you...relieved?

More help with pests...


Wednesday, April 30 , 2014

The Candy That Helps You Remember

Did you just forget the name of that movie with that actress...what's her name? Here's how to kick your brain into gear...

Alan R. Hirsch, MD, director of The Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago (SmellAndTaste.org), says that the distinctive smell and taste of butterscotch instantly switches the brain back to the moment it first absorbed new information, making it easier to recall facts.

So eat butterscotch candy when you're learning new information and when you need to get the data from the "tip of your tongue."

More brain boosters...

Thursday, April 10 , 2014

Homemade Hair Revitalizer

Healthy hair does not have to be an expensive endeavor! This was our beautiful mother's favorite hair treatment (actually, it was her only hair treatment).

Slightly warm one-half cup of olive oil. Mom put it in a four-ounce eyedropper bottle and let it stand in very hot water for a few minutes. You may want to add a few drops of an extract like vanilla or almond to make it more fragrant. Then, using the eyedropper, she'd squirt the warm oil all over her hair and massage the oil into her scalp. Once her whole head was covered, she'd shampoo it out. No need to let it sit.

Do this once a week, or more often, for lustrous, healthy hair.

More ways to beautiful hair...

Wednesday, February 26 , 2014

Sweet Fix for a Burnt Tongue

The tongue is such a vulnerable part of the body. It gets bit and burned...just the thought of a burnt tongue causes pain! Here’s what to do if you burn your tongue at home or at the coffee shop...

Rinse your mouth with ice-cold water. Put a few drops of pure vanilla extract on your tongue's burned spot. If you’re at a coffee shop or restaurant, sprinkle white sugar on the burn. Let the sugar sit until you feel relief. Rinse your mouth again with cold water.

More help for everyday annoyances...


Wednesday, January 08 , 2014

Remove Stains from Your Fingernails

To get rid of fingernail stains (those pink hues that remain after you’ve removed your nail polish...or stains from food or art projects or any sticky situation), put tooth-whitening toothpaste on a toothbrush (not used for brushing your teeth) and gently distribute the paste on your nails. Let it sit on your nails for about 15 minutes...then brush as you rinse off the paste. Gently dry. Do this once a day. Note: Depending on the stain, it may take several tries before the discoloration completely disappears. Give it a rest after day one, and try again tomorrow. Soon your efforts will pay off.

More help for your nails...

Tuesday, January 07 , 2014

A Little Help with Memory Loss

Are you feeling a little forgetful lately? It happens to everyone, especially as we get older. Life has a way of wearing down the brain waves...illness, stress, menopause, data overload. There’s just so much stuff you can stuff into your head! Here’s an herbal treatment to help kick your brain into gear...

Take a teaspoon of dried sage, and add it to a cup of just-boiled water. Add four cloves. Let this combo sit for five minutes, then drink the liquid. Do this every day.

We base our remedy on centuries of herbalists who have used sage to help memory loss, but modern-day scientists have discovered that sage inhibits the enzyme that breaks down the chemical messenger acetylcholine, which plays a role in maintaining focus and recall. Clove oil has also been shown to help with learning deficits.

And by the way—put your keys on the same hook near your door or in your kitchen every day when you get home. Simplify the small things, and that leaves more room in your brain for the big things.

More brain boosts...

Monday, January 06 , 2014

A Fix for Frostnip

Frostbite occurs when the skin on a person's extremities (usually hands, feet and/or nose) has been exposed to cold temperatures for too long. If the skin is super cold, extremely pale and completely numb, sometimes with blisters, then there's a good chance that it's frostbite. A doctor's care is required immediately.

The chilling of the skin that occurs just before frostbite is frostnip. In this case, the skin might be paler than usual or red. It's not a serious condition, but you need to take care. Your extremities will feel tingly numb, like pins and needles, and sometimes you'll have a burning sensation. It's important that you warm up before the “nip” turns into a “bite”! Here's a remedy that will help speed along the warming process...

Warm up some olive oil (warm—not hot!), and gently dab it on the chilled, nipped skin, or apply the oil with a kitchen pastry brush. Note: Do not expose frostnipped extremities to hot water (or anything hot—don't stand in front of a fire or super-hot radiator). This can cause nerve damage. Be sure to warm up gently.

More wintertime help...